- Arts are a 626.3 Million Dollar Industry in Houston
- The Arts in Houston support 30,000 full time jobs
- The economic impact for the city is 69.5 million in local and state government revenues
- Total Attendance of the 10 Largest Arts Organizations in 2007 = 7,383,740
- Total Hotel Occupancy Tax funds directed to the Arts in2007 = 12.1M
I mention this because I have been seeing the 13 Undercover teasers on TV for a show called "The Color of Money". I haven't seen the segment yet. Investigative Reporter Wayne Dolcefino runs "The Color of Money" about Houston Arts tonight at 10:00 PM.
As a tax payer it is important to me that my taxes go to logical and necessary expenses. But I also like knowing that there is a baseball team in Houston (stadium paid for with taxes), and while I can't always afford the beer at a Texan's game (ditto), I can always afford a glass of wine in the basement of the new building at the Houston Museum of Fine Art. Art is necessary. To what extent, that can and should be legitimately debated as with anything regarding public funding.
Trying to reserve judgment until I see the piece. But knowing Dolcefino….
Here is the Mayor's Funding for the Arts set: