This is not a detailed how-to post. Rather it is short, you will have to do most of the work yourself, but here is some help to calculate revenue and profit per employee over time. Specifically this is for a small business running Quickbooks.
My main goal was to be able to see head counts integrated with financial results by quarter. So if revenue was X and profit was Y in the third quarter, how many employees did we have at that time? Seems a reasonable question to me that was left unanswered by Quickbooks and Microsoft. So here goes:
- run the "Employee Contact List" – this is on the reports menu
- click "modify report"
- Select the following fields:
- Hire Date
- Release Date
- (uncheck everything else)
- go to the "filters" tab
- click "Active Status" and then "All" so you get a report of ALL employees
- At this point check that all employees that are "inactive" have a "release date" – if not I recommend you fix it here. Refresh your report.
- Export to Excel
- I’d also recommend you "memorize" this report to get back to it easier next year.
The next steps take place in Excel. More after the jump: