"We are gonna have to work on our communication." – Will Smith in Independence Day
And on that note, despite being in marketing and KNOWING the importance of planning, I need to rename this blog. The original "brandtobedetermined" moniker was chosen because it was late, and I figured I would "determine" a brand name later. Surprise surprise, it never happened. Before I get more link backs, I need to move on this!
Blog names to consider:
- havior.com – we own this domain name and it does suggest behavior studies which is what PR, marketing and social software are about.
- stick with schipul.typepad.com – the default blog name and hope they don’t get bought by an evil company making the domain name yucky at some point in the future?
- Any suggestions for a better name?
"Ain’t got time for jibba jabba. Call 1-800-Collect." – Mr T. via Idea Grove
Last night I recorded a show with Russ Capper on entrepreneurship for The BusinessMakers Radio Show. I do a lot of public speaking, but talks are specifically not about me. The audience doesn’t care about you typically. If you have a message that is of value they definitely DO care about the message which is where I focus my energy when speaking.
So I found this to be a difficult interview. Russ was specifically asking about the history of the company. Questions I just don’t get on a daily basis, but I can see the importance of learning from others on a show about business.
I did take the opportunity to repeat something I heard from Ken Jones a while back. The three keys to having a successful business are:
- Sell at a profit. You can’t sell at a loss and make it up on volume.
- Have a recurring revenue model. Any sale takes too much energy to make it up the margin without some recurring revenue.
- Love what you do.
Katie Laird was also recorded with Kelsey for a show. They went on right before me so it was fun to watch and learn. Kelsey has done this a few times!